Please find below the minutes of Council, the Municipal Planning Commission, and the County's Annual General Meetings. Council and MPC meeting minutes are posted once they are approved by Council (usually at the next regular meeting).
Council Meeting - Live Stream
To refresh the livestream feed for the afternoon session during a Council meeting push F5 on your keyboard. All Council and MPC meetings will also be posted on the County YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_taSnEJqYoudRYw8ugK7bw
Regular meetings of the Municipal Planning Commission are held beginning at 10:00 am on the Thursday of the first full week of the month beginning on a Sunday and on the Thursday two weeks after the first meeting of the month. Council meetings are held immediately following the Municipal Planning Commission meetings.
Starting April 23, 2020, we will be livestreaming the open portions of the Municipal Planning Commission and Council meetings so that members of the public can view the proceedings. Members of the public can also ask questions of Council during the designated Question Period and Public Hearings. Click the links below for more information:
- Livestream Instructions - Learn how to watch the MPC/Council meeting livestream and ask questions
- Asking Questions During the Livestream - More information on asking questions during the livestream
MPC & Council meeting agenda packages will be available in the afternoon of the Tuesday before the date of the meeting.
You will be able to access the link to the livestream meeting as well as agenda packages, minutes, and videos of past meetings via this page.
|Meeting Date||Meeting Type||Agenda||Minutes||Video|
|February 9, 2023||Council Meeting||Not Yet Available||Not Yet Available||Join the Livestream|
(Starts at 10am local time)
|February 9, 2023||MPC Meeting||Not Yet Available||Not Yet Available||Join the Livestream|
(Starts at 10am local time)
|January 26, 2023||Council Meeting||Agenda||Not Yet Available||Video Link|
|January 26, 2023|
|January 16, 2023||Committee of the Whole||Agenda||Not Yet Available||n/a|
|January 12, 2023||Council Meeting||Agenda||Minutes||AM Session|
|January 12, 2023||MPC Meeting||Agenda||Not Yet Available||Video Link|
|Meeting Date||Meeting Type||Agenda||Minutes||Video|
|December 22, 2022||Council Meeting||Agenda||Minutes||AM Session|
|December 22, 2022 CANCELLED||MPC Meeting||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|December 8, 2022||Council Meeting||Agenda||Minutes||AM Session|
|December 8, 2022 - CANCELLED||MPC Meeting||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|November 24, 2022||Council Meeting||Agenda||Minutes||AM Session|
|November 24, 2022||MPC Meeting||Agenda||Minutes||Video Link|
|November 14, 2022||2023 Budget Presentation Review & Discussion||Agenda||n/a||AM Session|
|October 20, 2022||Council Meeting||Agenda||Minutes||Video Link|
|October 20, 2022||MPC Meeting||Agenda||Minutes||Video Link|
|October 20, 2022||Annual Organizational Meeting||Agenda||Minutes||Video Link|
|October 17, 2022||Committee of the Whole||Agenda||Minutes||n/a|
|October 6, 2022||Council Meeting||Agenda||Minutes||Video Link|
|October 6, 2022||MPC Meeting||Agenda||Minutes||Video Link|
|September 22, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||AM Session|
|September 22, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|September 8, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|September 8, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|August 11, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||AM Session|
|August 11, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|July 21, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|July 21, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|July 5, 2022||2023 Budget Planning Meeting||n/a||Video Link|
|June 23, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|June 23, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|June 20, 2022||Committee of the Whole||Agenda||Minutes||n/a|
|June 9, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||AM Session|
|June 9, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|May 19, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||AM Session|
PM Session - Part 1 Part 2
|May 19, 2022 - CANCELLED||MPC Meeting|
|April 21, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||AM Session|
|April 21, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|April 7, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||AM Session|
|April 7, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|March 24, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|March 24, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|March 10, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||AM Session|
|March 10, 2022 - CANCELLED||MPC Meeting|
|February 24, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||AM Session|
|February 24, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|February 10, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes||AM Session|
|February 10, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|January 20, 2022||Council Meeting||Agenda||Minutes||AM Session|
|January 20, 2022||MPC Meeting||Minutes||Video Link|
|January 6, 2022||Council Meeting||Minutes|
|January 6, 2022 - CANCELLED||MPC Meeting|
If you wish to participate in a meeting as a delegation, please contact us at 403-362-3266 or email@example.com and we will schedule you for an upcoming meeting. Due to COVID-19 safety precautions, you will participate from a separate location either via videoconference or teleconference.
Please note the following:
- Council does not have an obligation to hear any delegation.
- The Chairman welcomes delegates.
- The Chairman advises that 15 minutes have been set aside and suggests 5 minutes for the presentation and 10 minutes for questions from Council.
- After the delegation process is complete, Council may take any action necessary which arises from the delegation.
Public hearings will be advertised and are generally held during the first meeting of a month beginning at 11:30 a.m.Members of the public will have the opportunity to participate in the public hearing during the livestream via the chat window. Questions can also be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one day prior to the meeting. Click here to view more information on asking questions during the livestream meeting: Asking Questions During the Livestream
The regular procedures for Public Hearings are as follows:
- The Chairman calls the hearing to order.
- The Secretary states the purpose of the public hearing (e.g. Land Use Amendment – SW 1-2-3-4 from Agricultural to Country Residential).
- An Administrative staff member will provide a summary of the matter to be heard.
- The Chairman will state the procedures which must be followed:
- Any individual wishing to speak must first be recognized by the Chair.
- Once recognized, they MUST state their name before beginning their presentation.
- ALL statements will be directed to Council.
- The applicant will be given five (5) minutes to present their case.
- Anyone else speaking in favour will be given three (3) minutes to make a presentation. Members of the public will be allowed to speak only once except to answer questions from Council.
- Council may ask questions of the applicant or speakers in favour.
- Members of the public opposed will be given three (3) minutes to present their case and provide a rebuttal to the presentation of the applicant and anyone else speaking in favour of the proposal. Members of the public will be allowed to speak only once except to answer questions from Council.
- Council may ask questions of the public again.
- The applicant will be given three minutes for a rebuttal.
- The public hearing is adjourned. Council goes back into the regular Council Meeting and may make their decision regarding the issue which required the hearing.
When are Council meetings held?
Meetings begin after the Municipal Planning Commission Meeting is done. This usually is shortly after 10 a.m. in the County of Newell Chambers.
Are Council Meetings open to the public?
Yes. You are welcome to attend all regular Council meetings in their entirety or you may wish to stay for just an item that interests you. As of April 23, 2020 you will be able to participate in a livestream meeting. Click here for instructions on how to join.
How can I contact a member of Council?
County of Newell Council is very interested in your ideas and suggestions. With participation from local citizens, Council is better prepared to make informed decisions on policies and bylaws for the County of Newell residents. Councillors are accessible by phone, email or by mail at the County Office. Countact information for individual Councillors is available here: http://www.countyofnewell.ab.ca/p/our-councillors
Which Council member should I contact?
You are encouraged to discuss all matters with your local divisional councillor or you are more than welcome to contact any member of Council.
Will issues discussed with a Councillor automatically be placed on a meeting agenda?
No. If you wish to have a matter considered at a Council meeting you need to contact the Executive Assistant to get it placed on the agenda which will get reviewed with the CAO prior to placement.
If I have made a request to have an item placed on the agenda what happens next?
The Executive Assistant will advise you of the date and approximate time your issue will be discussed. If you wish to be a delegation please follow the process for delegations above. If you do not choose to make a presentation at the meeting you may still want to be available to answer questions that Council may have. If you are unable to attend the meeting your item will still be discussed. You will be advised by email (if provided) or by letter of Council's decision regarding your issue.
Can I get a copy of the meeting agenda?
Yes, meeting agendas will be made available to the public in the afternoon of the Tuesday before the day of the meeting. A link will be posted on this page.