Construction Permits

The process for obtaining construction permits is regulated by the Alberta Safety Codes Council. The Safety Codes Council derives its authority from the Safety Codes Act and the Minister of Municipal Affairs.

The County has been accredited since March 2011 to issue permits for all 5 construction disciplines, including building, electrical, gas, plumbing and private sewage disposal systems. Developers must obtain construction permits through the County office.

The County has contracted an inspection agency, Park Enterprises Ltd., to provide support and certified inspectors to review plans, and inspect work carried out under these permits.

By providing in-house construction permits and contracted inspections, the County has reduced the cost of these permits to the landowner. At the same time, the County is ensuring that structures are being built according to the Alberta Building Code.

As of February 1, 2014, all dwellings must be entered into the registry at The register number must be provided to the County before a building permit can be issued. For more information, go to New Home Warranty – Overview.

A construction permit is a document that confirms your construction will comply with the Alberta Safety Code and is designed to address life safety issues with new developments. It gives authorization to build, alter or repair a structure. Construction permits are reviewed for compliance with the Alberta Building Code by a Safety Codes Inspector.     

Inside the Alberta Building Code is the electrical, gas, plumbing and private septic codes. These all have minimum safety standards that must be obtained to have compliance for your project and, most importantly, adequate safety for the benefit of all Albertans.

These codes are updated every few years as new methods and materials are introduced.

Permits are required for most construction projects. These projects include new builds, additions, renovations, alterations, repairs and relocations.

The County of Newell is an accredited municipality; therefore you must obtain all of your permits through the County and our safety code partner Park Enterprises Ltd.

The owner of the land is responsible for obtaining all applicable permits and constructing the development in accordance with the Safety Codes Act and the Alberta Building Code.

  1. Owner/Applicant has obtained an approved Development Permit if required.
  2. Owner/Applicant submits completed permit application to the County of Newell.
  3. County Staff will complete the required information on the permit application including the fee and then forward the application and any required back up to Park Enterprises.
  4. Park Enterprises will then issue the permit which will include the number of inspections and at what point of the project the applicant should arrange inspections. The work must NOT be covered at the time of inspection.
  5. The Owner/Applicant can then start the work.
  6. The County of Newell will invoice the applicant for the cost of the permit.

Building and PSDS Permits require a plans review completed by the Safety Codes Inspector. If a complete and accurate application is submitted with all the required information, the review will take approximately one week.

Electrical, Plumbing and Gas Permits do not require back up information or a plans review and can generally be issued within a couple days.  

It is important to complete all fields on the application form to ensure that the inspection is complete, including number of fixtures for gas and plumbing, BTU number for plumbing, phase, voltage for electrical, etc.

For more information on the application requirements, please visit Municipality Permit Information (