In 1952, the County of Newell started an Agricultural Service Board and has been running Agricultural programming under the guidance of the Agricultural Service Board Act ever since.
The idea behind ASB’s is to provide local authority over the growing problems of weed and pest infestations as well as erosion of soil from water and wind. ASB’s act as an advisory body to council on matters relating to agriculture and an Agricultural Fieldman is hired to run the programming.
In the County of Newell the Agricultural Service board is responsible for the following:
- Enforcing the Agricultural Service Board Act
- Employ an Agricultural Fieldman
- Operating an efficient and effective ASB Committee
- Implementing programs and policies that help Agriculture thrive within our boundaries
- Enforcing the Weed Control Act
- Hiring Weed Inspectors
- Work with producers and industry to minimize the effects of prohibited noxious and noxious weeds
- Implement effective vegetation control measures on publicly owned land
- Annual certification of Seed Cleaning plants within our boundaries
- Enforcing the Agricultural Pest Act
- Conduct surveys to determine threat of regulated pests and nuisances
- Implement programs to deal with regulated pests and nuisances
- Enforcing the Soil Conservation Act
- Implement programs to reduce the effects of soil erosion
- Operate the shelterbelt program
- Aiding with matters related to the Animal Health Act
- Disseminating information from Alberta Agriculture to the local ag community through education and awareness campaigns
- Aiding in grant applications
- Operating Emerson Bridge Park Campground
- Facility Maintenance
In order to deliver ASB related programming, the County of Newell has seven (7) full time positions and hires thirteen (13) seasonal employees. As most programs run from April to October, it was decided that seasonal employees are a valuable resource to the ASB. The workforce in ASB has grown over the years as more programs are required and as funding has become available. Currently the ASB employs an Director of Agricultural Services, a Manager of Agricultural Services, a Agricultural Service Supervisor, two (2) Agricultural Technicians, one (1) Facility Maintenance Attendant, one (1) Full Time Vegataion Management Technician, four (4) Seasonal Vegetaion Management Technicians, four (4) Agricultural Equipment Operators, five (5) Seasonal Agricultural Labourers and employs Seasonal Emerson Bridge Park Supervisors.